Hello all. I apologize in advance for the lack of updates recently. Things have been very busy, especially in this thing we might refer to as “real life.” I plan to make a more extensive post about it in the future, but for now I would like to focus on one specific thing.
After several weeks, months, and years of silence, I am finally deciding to make the latest revision of this website (dubbed version 3.0) public. I have been working on this for quite some time, first beginning in early-2020 and continuing on-and-off for the next couple of years. There have been a lot of contributing factors as to why I haven’t been working on it as much, majority of it being procrastination and school (more recently college, but it counts.)
Rather than continue holding off the site, especially considering how out-of-date the revision prior was (the last true revision was in 2020), I thought it would be, at the very least, worth showing off whatever I have done so far in an effort to prove that this website is certainly not dead and that there are plans for the fuure.
The latest update brings an upgraded look for the website. I’ve moved some elements around and added some backgrounds to the pages to help ‘liven them up.’ I also got around to making the footer take effect across the entire website, rather than a few select pages.
I have also made an attempt to make the current layout as compatible as possible. However, there are still a few things that might need to be looked into:
- The new layout currently rely on CSS variables, which not all browsers (mostly older ones) seem to support. I might look into “compiling” them back into basic CSS, but for now I don’t really see it as that much of deal.
- A few pages have custom layouts that differ from the main layout and aren’t mobile optimized by default. From my tests, they function on mobile devices, but aren’t too pretty to look at, especially on smaller screens.
I initially created a website as a way to catalog a ton of the art I’ve done over the years, so I feel like I should bring up what’s been going on over there.
I’ve replaced the ‘lightbox’ (gallery) plugin that I’ve been using for a while with a slightly different one. One day, I would like to have one with more detailed information about the art, maybe have some additional photos put in as well, however this should be fine for now.
I’ve also went ahead and added a dedicated section for all of the things I’ve been making in the overly popular sandbox game Minecraft. A lot of people enjoy this game, so I guess it makes sense for some (myself included) to try and utilize its creative potential.
Finally, the Characters page was reintroduced with a layout of its own. Currently, I don’t know what to do for the actual character pages themselves, so a majority of them will either pull up their reference sheet if available, or bring up a “coming soon” page.
- rather than manually updating every single page, i simplified the process by using a static-site generator. (particularly Jekyll.)
- the about and radio pages have been moved back to the website.
- brought back the site updates page.
- revamped the ‘VHS’ article to focus generally on transferring the medium to a digital format rather than just dubbing digital content to tape.
Since the current revision has been released in a beta stage, there are still a few things that need to be added, but that should be enough for now. If you have any feedback about the current design, feel free to contact me here.
Until then, I’ll see you all around.